California Department of Public Health -
Home Medical Device Retailer (CDPH HMDR) Licensing
Buy California HMDR Exemptee License
The HMDR program is mandated by Assembly Bill 1496 of the 1999-2000 legislative session. This program licenses California HMDR facilities and registers Out-of-State HMDR facilities. In-State HMDR facilities supply prescription medical devices or durable medical equipment for use in the home to treat acute or chronic illnesses or injuries. Out-of-State HMDR facilities must supply prescription medical devices in order to qualify for the registration. The HMDR program also licenses exemptees that are required to be on staff in lieu of a pharmacist at facilities selling prescription medical devices as described under California and Federal medical device laws.
If you are applying for a California Exemptee license, you'll need to include
proof of required training in your license application. Take our online course
to earn a course completion certificate accepted by the California Department of
Public Health (CDPH) - include it in your license application.
Useful License Links & Resources
- California Exemptee Training - for HMDR
(home medical device retailers). $525 per student (no extra fees to retake
quizzes). State approved by the California Department of Public Health.
Earns a course completion certificate suitable for your Exemptee license
- Application forms that can be completed, then printed, and mailed to the branch:
HMDR License Applications
- The California Sherman Food, Drug, and Cosmetic Law that provides for the regulation of the HMDR industry:
Sherman Food, Drug and Cosmetic Law
- Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) written for the public and the HMDR industry. These questions were collected during the establishment of the HMDR Program and represent the most frequently answered questions documented by
CDPH department staff: HMDR FAQs
- The CA Department of Public Health's home medical device retail desk at (916) 341-7354, or (800) 495-3232
should you have further questions.